CCK Black Forest Gateaux Cup Cakes
- Preparation time: 1 hour
- Cooking time: 15 min
- Serves: 4
- Complexity: Medium
- 125g butter, softened
- 125g caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 125g self-raising flour
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp milk
- 6 tbsp black cherry conserve
- 60gm caster sugar
- 150ml water
- 4 tbsp kirsch
- 300ml whipping cream
- 1 Scraped vanilla pod
- cherries with stalks approx 12
- Shavings of chilli chocolate with cocoa nibs and Acai from (Feeding Your Imagination) www.feeding-your-imagination.co.uk
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas mark 5. Beat together the butter and sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, flour, cocoa powder and milk to the bowl and beat until the mixture is smooth.
2. Divide the mixture between the paper cases and bake in the centre of the oven until the cakes have risen and are just firm to the touch in the centre. The standard-size cakes will take about 12 to 15 minutes and the mini cakes will take 10 to 12 minutes. Remove the cakes from the oven and transfer them to a wire rack to cool.
3. To make the syrup, pour the water into a saucepan and add the sugar. Place the pan over a low heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Increase the heat and boil rapidly until the mixture has reduced by about a half. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the syrup to cool for about 5 minutes, adding then the kirsch.
4. Top off each cupcake and reserve the tops for 'lids'. Scoop out a small amount of cake to create a small hollow in each. Brush the warm syrup into the hollows and spoon a little of the black cherry conserve into each hollow, then replace the lids on the cakes.
5. For the topping, whisk the cream and scraped vanilla until it forms soft peaks, then spoon it into the piping bag. Pipe a swirl of cream on top of each cupcake. Place a cherry on top and sprinkle with a little grated Mistress chocolate from either CCK or feeding-your-imagination.co.uk